Unfortunately, rental scams are a common occurrence in Lee County, Florida.
Unfortunately, rental scams are a common occurrence in Lee County, Florida. These scams typically involve fraudulent rental listings or fake landlords who try to trick renters into sending money or personal information. Here are some of the most common rental scams in Lee County:
- Phishing Scams: In this type of scam, a fake landlord or property manager will send an email to a potential renter, asking them to provide personal information such as social security numbers or bank account information. This information can be used to steal the renter’s identity or money.
- Fake Listings: Scammers will create fake rental listings for properties that are not actually available for rent. They will often use pictures and descriptions from real listings, making it difficult for renters to spot the fraud.
- Wire Transfer Scams: In this scam, a fake landlord or property manager will ask the renter to wire transfer money to secure the rental property. Once the money is sent, the scammer disappears and the renter is left without property or their money.
- Overpayment Scams: In this type of scam, a fake landlord or property manager will ask the renter to send a deposit or first month’s rent, and then send a check for more than the amount requested. The scammer will then ask the renter to send the difference back, but the check will bounce and the renter will be out of the money they sent.
- Rental Application Scams: In this scam, a fake landlord or property manager will ask the renter to fill out a rental application that asks for personal information such as social security numbers or bank account information. This information can be used to steal the renter’s identity or money.
To avoid falling victim to these rental scams in Lee County, it’s important to do your research and verify the legitimacy of the rental listing and the landlord. Make sure to view the property in person and never wire transfer money or provide personal information without first confirming the identity of the landlord or property manager. It’s also a good idea to work with a licensed real estate agent who can help you find legitimate rental listings and avoid rental scams.
Build-to-rent investing is a strategy in which an investor or a group of investors constructs or develops a rental property and then rents it out to tenants Click here to learn more
Steelbridge Realty LLC is a Licensed Real Estate Brokerage that utilizes cutting-edge marketing techniques and data-driven Real Estate solutions in today’s ever-changing environment. Our group of professionals has decades of experience and has navigated through many business cycles. Our diverse background gives us the tools to guide people toward successful decisions.